Sunday, April 3, 2016

Memento: Objects of Desire homework

Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss
The reason i chose this image for this quote was because this bear is made from one of my grandfathers shirts. This memento keeps me remembering my grandfather, even though I have lost him. 

The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the 3 dimensional into the miniature, which can be enveloped by the body. 
I chose this image to represent this quote because it is a souvenir that i purchased in New York City. It is a bike map of new york with a skyline image of the city screen printed on. It miniaturizes the city, which had seemed so large at the time of being there. 

Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience
This was chosen specifically because this was a memento of my mother. She gave me these antique cups that she purchased many years ago from France. She travelled there when she was the same age as I was when she gifted these to me. It was not only a reminder for her, but some experience to share with me. 

To have a Souvenir of the Exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy. 
Though it is not an exotic object, i feel it is some sort of trophy of experience. This was take from my parents care after moving away from our home state back in 2005. I felt as if  this was a trophy for me and hence why I chose it for this quote.

The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale. 
I chose this for the last quote because it is a map to the world. A desire to travel is something i feel is important to me, and makes me want to hold on to this map. I chose this fpr the quote because though the map makes the world seem small it is nothing in comparison to the actual size and scale of the world around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment